Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Microsoft is on to Something... BIG!

I opened my latest edition of eWeek Magazine (yes I still like to read it "offline") and saw an ad and case study for Mediterranean Shipping Company for Microsoft SQL Server 2008. Down in the lower left hand corner of the page, a rectangular box with a multi-colored symbol in it caught my eye. It read;

"To get the full MSC story on your phone, snap a picture of this tag (Requires a free mobile app from http://gettag.mobi)"

I had to do a double-take. I downloaded the mobile app and took a picture of the tag. Next thing I know, a browser opens on my Blackberry and shows a mobile web page of the MSC case study complete with video and graphics. WOW! I then proceeded to do a little research...

What is Mobile Tagging?

Microsoft Tag creates unlimited, on-demand possibilities for interactive marketing. The tags transform physical, "old school" media (print advertising, billboards, product packages, information signs, in-store merchandising, or even video images) into live links for accessing information and entertainment online.

All you need to do is aim your camera phone at a tag and it instantly accesses mobile content, videos, music, contact information, maps, social networks, promotions, and more. Nothing to type, no PURLs to worry about, no browsers to launch!

I did have some challenges, of course. When I took the first picture I was in a room where the lighting wasn't so great. Needless to say, the flash went off and totally hid the tag in a blossom of white mush. Well, the tag's mobile app couldn't read it and it crapped out on me. The other challenge is quite obvious; what if you don't have a camera on your phone? Or, what if your parents or spouse turned off the Internet browser access or you didn't have that particular plan turned on your phone? Yes, we live in an imperfect world. However, the Microsoft Tag concept is definitely on to something very cool and very useful.

Give it a look...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do more with your MS Tags at Vizitag.com